There is no doubt that amputation changes your life. Gaining knowledge goes a long way in helping you move forward both emotionally and physically.
In addition to the care instructions you get from your rehab team, these simple tips can help make your life easier from the beginnings of life with amputation, to settling into your new normal.
Here are a few tips to make your home safer and more comfortable when you get home from the hospital.
- Have a set of crutches on-hand and practice using them before you get home.
- Set up a comfortable place in your home where you can rest as you recover. Include an area within arm’s reach to store all of the things you regularly use.
- Ensure furniture placements allow clear paths and plenty of room to navigate.
- Assemble a wardrobe with clothing that is easy to get on and off.
- Pockets, shoulder bags and fanny packs are a great method for carrying items without using your hands.
- A rolling stool, chair or wheelchair can help you get around. It’s a good idea to have a stool near your bed to help you get to the bathroom at night.
- Nightlights (and motion detected nightlights) make it easier to navigate when looking for light switches in the dark.
- Remote anything you can. There are all kinds of systems to turn on things like, fans, music, and lights. Amazon and Google make voice activated devices that give you general information and more.
- Install grab bars in your shower and next to your toilet.
- Get a shower bench for use in your shower.
- Place a non-slip bath mat in front of the shower to help prevent slipping as you are getting in and out.
- Install hooks next to your shower to help keep towels in reach of your bath seat.
- Use a shower head with a hand-held wand to move the water source instead of your body.
- Organize the items you use every day and place them within reach.
- Consider a handicap height toilet – this is a good long-term investment.
Most of all have support in place. Healing takes time and having practical help and supportive people around you will make the adjustment easier. Many have successfully gone before you in this journey. You can do it!
Serving the Tidewater cites of: Newport News, Hampton, Yorktown, Chesapeake,
Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, Gloucester and entire Hampton Roads area.